Monday, December 20, 2010

How "The Ring" Nearly Scarred Me For Life

Up for a traumatizing childhood story, oh great people of the Internet?

When I was thirteen, one of my sisters, number two out of four, was making a birthday present for our mother. The present was a cement stepping stone for the garden, and she was breaking old ceramic dishes in the garage for decoration. She told me not to come in without shoes on, because there was glass all over the floor, but who was she to tell me what to do? I was a TEENAGER for Pete's sake!

So of course when I decided to take my Razor scooter for a spin around the garage, I stepped on a small piece of glass. I didn't even know I was cut until I started dripping blood in the laundry room. My mom bandaged me up and told me we were going to the doctor's in the morning to see if I needed stitches. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night. I was so afraid of getting stitches on the bottom of my foot, not being able to walk on it for weeks, having to use crutches to get around.

I was relieved when the doctor said it was too late for stitches and I'd just have to wear a special bandage and be on crutches for 72 hours. Afterwards, my mom bought me some Starbucks and said she'd rent me a movie to keep me occupied because she had to go back to work. The one movie I had been DYING to see was "The Ring". I was confident in my scary movie watching ability. I had watched "Blade" in the dark by myself! I had a mind of steel!

About fifteen minutes into the film, I began to feel strange. The world around me started to fade away... the movie was becoming more and more real to me. When it came to the part where they show the death-tape, I thought to myself, Maybe I shouldn't be watching this part..., but I did anyway.



I was fine for a while, but once the sun started to set, I began to feel queasy. I was always able to prevent myself from being scared by telling myself that those people who were tortured or died did something to provoke the evil beast/demon/serial killer, and I hadn't done that. But with "The Ring", I HAD watched the video, and they hadn't stopped the villain by the end of the movie. Even though I told myself I hadn't got the seven days call, I couldn't help but feel that I was in danger.

Every time I closed my eyes, I pictured the television turning on by itself and that creepy little girl climbing out and stealing my soul! Even when I wasn't in a room with a television, that image still edged into my mind. I couldn't sleep. I barely ate. The fear of being mutilated by a mystic ten year old was taking over my life!

I had nightmares for months, but soon I began to sleep easy again. But still, every once in a while, I get that heeby-jeeby feeling that that little girl is coming to get me....

No comments:

Post a Comment